09 January 2007

First day at work

Couldn't sleep, wonder why. I had turned in for the night like 10:30 pm, tossed and turned till 3:30 am. Thankfully I didn't have to get to work till 9 am (I love this job) and my office is just like 10 mins away. I wore the suit and I must say I was looking very fetching ;-). I got to work without incident and was pleasantly suprised to find my work station all preped, my computer ready, email account set up, all logons created. Plus I have home access! This was very unlike the reception I received at my first job in Houston; it took a whole week to get me the appropriate logons and permissions on the network and my computer set up! I spent the first couple of hours filling in paper work and getting introduced to other members of staff. I was beginning to worry that I was the only female on staff and was pleased to learn that there are to of us; the other one was away on vacation. She is Asian and I am looking forward to meeting her. I hope she is nice, and she can cook, I really want to learn to cook authentic chinese food, I hope she will be predisposed to teaching me. Then I had a two hour briefing then we did lunch (this people like eating, end of story) then another briefing. For sure there will be no napping at this job, these people mean business. Everyone was polite, the guy who seats next to me has the most amazing eyelashes! They are very thick with a slight curve, they make his eyes look so beautiful, for real I had to caution myself to not stare too much especially since I had just read and signed the sexual descrimination clause in the employee handbook!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

you like white boys!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE IT!!!

adefunke said...

I like boys, color is really not an issue

Anonymous said...

you are so funny. I know.. those sometimes you can't help but get lost in beautiful eyes. By the way some African men have long eyelashes too.

But you know what gets me everytime... men with accents. I don't know what it is.. but I am sooooo attracted to a man with a foriegn accent. Mostly middle eastern, europe, france.

so... what type of job has only 3 women?

adefunke said...

Yeah, the Fulani ones have eyes to die for. I have this yoruba male friend also who has the most most amazing lashes; thick and long. Unfortunately he doesn't have jair where it counts for him he is going bald! Two women actually I am a web applications developer.

NaijaBloke said...

Lol@the sexual harassment statement ....

Anonymous said...

Sooo... its been a week now. How is the job. Have you identified the people that you want to stay away from, and those that you'd like to know better?

I know its still early... but does the job seem like what you thought it would be? And how's the cafeteria / restuaraunts in the area.

Have you found an apartment / home yet. Why not shop for a home? The deals are supposed to be good now.

yes, yes.. I'm a regular amebo.

adefunke said...

@ naijabloke - I no wan wahala!
@ anonymous - So far no suprises on the job, enough restaurants around here serving every conceivable type of food. I recently found a suitable apartment and real estate isn't exactly cheap here, if I buy property I will be looking at like a 3k monthly mortgage and thats an optimistic estimate.